Thursday, September 11, 2008

Formula for the Henna Treatment for Hand-Foot Syndrome

I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to when I start my next cycle of Sutent.  It sounds interesting and I'll post my results.


Mix it with hot water and squeeze in a splash of fresh lemon juice. Let it cool.
Collect your supplies – a large garbage bag, a few plastic grocery bags, or old towels; a small non-metal bowl and non-metal spoon; a lemon.

Put half a cup (120 ml) of very hot water, even boiling, in a non-metal bowl. Add fresh lemon juice, a half teaspoon or so. Using a non-metal spoon, add the powder a little at a time. You’ll probably be using about a quarter of a cup (60 g) to a half cup (120 g). Stir. Thicken until it is about the thickness of toothpaste, pudding or frosting – no drippiness. Let it sit until it COOLS. Some people say overnight, I only wait until it cools.

You don't have to be exact with the amounts. I like it thick so it doesn't drip, but it takes longer to dry.

Apply the henna
I pick a place where I want to sit for an hour and cover an ottoman with the large garbage bag.
Apply to the skin with a non-metal tool like the back of a plastic spoon, a paintbrush or a long-handled wooden spoon. (It’s easier for someone else to do it for you.) Apply until the area is thickly covered, like frosting a cake or plastering a wall. Leave on for 5 - 6 hours. It’s messy. I let it dry, then I use the plastic grocery bags on my feet to walk around (carefully). Some people bandage the hennaed area, which I have not tried.

To get the six hours, I put an old towel on the bed and leave my foot out from the covers for the night. You will get crumbs of dried henna on the bed but if it’s dry when you go to bed, it won’t stain. I wasn’t harmed by leaving it on if I slept longer than six hours. The dog did not lick it off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea - let us know if it helps!

john1960 said...

I will, Anonymous! Thanks for the comment - it's nice to know someone looks at this.