They suggest letting Medicare negotiate prices, back grassroots movement calling for change
WebMD News from HealthDay
- Create a review mechanism after a drug has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that would propose a fair price for new cancer drugs that is based on the value to patients and health care.
- Allow the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute -- established under the Affordable Care Act -- to evaluate the benefits of new cancer therapies, and let similar organizations include drug prices in their assessments of a treatment's value.
- Permit patients to import cancer drugs from other countries. For example, prices in Canada are about half that of prices in the United States, the experts said.
- Pass legislation to prevent drug companies from delaying the introduction of generic drugs, and reform the patent system to make it more difficult to unnecessarily extend patent protection of a drug.
- Encourage groups that represent cancer specialists and patients to consider the overall value of drugs and treatments when developing their treatment guidelines.