Sunday, July 26, 2015

Singer beats cancer to regain voice

Singer beats cancer to regain voice: Brave Helen shares her story

SINGING has taken the Booyal local Helen Coleman around Australia and the world, but the woman from the Childers area has had to overcome cancer to regain her voice.
Ms Coleman now resides in the Scenic Rim area where she can focus on her amazing talent.
The talented soprano soloist started with humble beginnings with her piano and singing teacher Mrs Cunningham.
Mrs Cunningham, also a soprano, trained in London and retired to Childers, and saw talent in Helen as a young performer.
Ms Coleman is influenced by jazz, blues and gospel music.
Ms Coleman said it wasn't all smooth sailing.
Her career was hit with a hard blow when she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2012.
"My biggest fear was I was never going to sing again," she said. 
The surgery resulted in her losing her voice completely.
Many friends from the singing community rallied around to show support in her time of need. "I really thought I would never sing or speak again, so I focused on my horses," she said.
Ms Coleman said that for 12 months after the surgery, "no words passed my lips".
It was during this time that Ms Coleman came to realise the infinite healing power of music.
"I have now spent two years working very hard to get my voice back," she said.
Her support and training has resulted in gaining her full voice once again.
Ms Coleman has recorded her debut album and it is due to be released this year.
"I want to be a positive influence on young artists and I hope my struggle can help others," she said.

No comments: