Saturday, December 13, 2008

Trying the Henna Treatment for Hand-Foot Syndrome

Well, the feet are starting to burn. I've tried all the over-the-counter suggestions and everything else I can think of to help with this, so I'm going to try the Henna Treatment.

I made the Henna Treatment for Hand-Foot Syndrome today using the following formula from a blog ( http://xelodasideeffects.blogspot.com/ ) many people have pointed to:

1/2 Cup Boiling Water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
approximately 1/4 Cup Indian Henna powder

I mixed the above ingredients in a small glass bowl with a plastic spool. The glop is made is an unpleasant greenish-brown goo. It reminds me most of what you get from the back end of a cow who's been turned out to pasture after wintering in a feed lot. (I'm betraying my rural roots here.) The scent is not unpleasant - kind of an herbal aroma that isn't too bad.

I allowed it to cool to room temperature then applied a light coat to the areas of my feet that were beginning to burn. It's soothing as it goes on. It dries in about 15 minutes. I put on a pair of old socks and will now go about my business. I put a plastic lid on the bowl and have stored it in the ice box.

11:30 PM - Feet are holding up pretty well. A little discomfort, but no burning. I've applied Bag Balm to my feet and hands where I usually have the H-F Syndrome patches. (Putting Bag Balm on the usual patches before they burn and peel seems to help prevent it for a bit. It helps prevent peeling even after the burning starts.) Put on some fresh old socks and am going to bed.

No comments: